A short story essay in different variations is the main format in which students engage in creative writing in the American education system. It is this genre that allows both the teacher and, above all, the student to understand how much he or she has mastered writing skills and the ability to write creatively. In addition, the essay demonstrates the ability to develop a plot and clearly express thoughts.
Structure of a Short Story Essay
- Introduction: main characters, location, time, weather, etc.
- The rising action: what happens at the beginning to increase the action.
- Story development: events leading to a climax or a turning point.
- The climax: the most intense scene; the turning point of the story.
- The falling action: the events following the climax of the story.
- The resolution: the ending of the story, whether with a solution to the central conflict or not.
You do not need to write a short story narrative essay in this order. If you have an idea for the ending, write it down. Push off from the initial idea (not necessarily the beginning of the story), and ask yourself: “What will happen next?” or “What was before that?”
How to Write a Good Short Story Essay
- Choose a topic that will be original and interesting to write on. It is important to understand the topic fully, as it will influence the development of the plot for your essay. Remember that selecting a topic is one of the main stages for writing a good short story essay.
- Create an outline that will help you to make a strong plot for your essay. Organization of thoughts is important. After preparing the main elements of the story, it is helpful to outline a timeline to decide what should happen. A story, at the very least, should constitute an introduction, a rising action, a development, a climax that includes a falling action, and a resolution.
- Write the first draft of your essay. How to start a short story essay? The first page, some would even say the first sentence, should attract the attention of the reader and make him or her read further. A quick start is especially important in short story essays, because you simply do not have enough space. Depending on how carefully you plotted the plot and characters, the writing process itself can only be a selection of the right words. However, in general, writing is a time-consuming process. Don’t give up; you can make the right corrections later.
- Keep writing. Almost certainly you had to face difficulties in completing the story. It is not necessary to stop because of this. Even if you have to throw away what you wrote the previous day, you worked on the story, and this will have a positive effect in the long run. As you write the story, you can direct the plot in a different direction than you previously planned, or you can significantly change or delete a character.
- Reread and edit. When you finish the story, reread it and correct the grammatical, logical, and semantic errors. In general, make sure that the action and the characters’ problems are entered into the story and solved accordingly. If you have time, postpone the story essay for several days or weeks before editing.
- Ask for a second opinion. Ask a relative or friend you trust to review the finished story and make corrections or suggestions. Ask them to give a real view of the story essay. Give them time to read and think about the story, and also give them a copy of it on which they can make notes.
Tips for Writing a Short Story Essay
- Focus on narration rather than dialog. Even if you decide to include dialog, keep in mind that you are not writing a play – limit it. There are three main options of narration: first person (“I”), second person (“you”), and third person (“he” or “she”). In the first version, the narrator is the character himself or herself, in the second, the reader, and in the third, an outside narrator narrates. Second-person narratives are rarely used.
- To write a quality short story essay, use a twist ant the end. You may use hints of what will be in the end throughout the whole essay and then reveal your twist in the ending.
- Collect ideas for your essay. Carry a notebook for writing ideas, as inspiration can come at any time. Most often, only small pieces of information will come to your head, such as an accident on which you can build a plot, a character’s name or appearance, etc. But, sometimes, you can create the whole story in minutes.
- If you have no inspiration or you need to write a story essay quickly, try brainstorming. If you are still hanging around, you may have to seek advice from your teacher, family, or friends.
- Get inspired by people around you. If you find it difficult to understand or describe a character, take a look around. You can easily borrow features of familiar and unfamiliar people. For example, you notice someone who always drinks coffee, speaks in a loud voice, always types on a computer, etc. These types of traits can create an interesting character.
- Know your character. For the story to be believable, the characters must be believable and realistic. Creating an interesting and realistic character is quite difficult. Make a complete description of the character, starting from his position, ending with his favorite color. You need to know as much as possible about your characters, from their motivation to their favorite dishes.
- Your character does not have to be perfect. Each character must have flaws, problems, uncertainties. It may seem to you that people do not like it when the character has many flaws, but this is far from the truth. Batman would not be the Dark Knight if he were not a sociopath.
- Do not make the story too lengthy. The main events of the story should occur within a short period of time (days or minutes); and you will not be able to develop more than one story line, two or three main characters, and one action sequence. If your story is too long, then it may classify as a novella.
- Do not give up. You may be disappointed when faced with problems. You can get tired, get angry at the characters or your writing, and feel guilty or hopeless. Know that, most likely, you will doubt your writing skills sooner or later. This is absolutely normal. One of the most difficult tasks of a writer is to overcome such feelings and continue writing.
- Read! Nothing can help you learn how to write good story essays better than reading good stories. Pay attention to the style and conciseness of writing. Reading different authors and styles will help you learn how to apply different voices to each story and expand your creative potential.
Short Story Titles in Essays
If you don’t know what to write about, we have gathered some ideas that can help you.
- Black Hole
- Gender relations
- Lucky number
- New Year
- Suddenly a magician will arrive …
- Friend of man
We hope that you now know how to write a short story essay. However, sometimes it is difficult to generate new ideas. In this way, you can get help from GPALabs. One of our writers can write a great short story essay for you; you just need to place an order with your requirements and set the deadline.
Don’t judge yourself if you can’t cope with your writing assignment – simply get our help!