Picking the right topic for your persuasive essay is half of success. If you can’t come up with the topic, we will gladly help you – you can buy essay online safe from us or choose any of the topics from our list. In this article we have gathered a great list of controversial topics you can discuss in your essay. We have divided the topics into the following sections:
- Mental Health
- Human rights
- Ethical issues
- Nature and the environment
- Social media
- American history
When you find an interesting topic, you will need to make up your own point of view on the issue. In the following lists, we propose existing sides of the issue, but you are free to change them.
Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
If you decide to write a persuasive essay about sports, you have a lot of room for ideas. You can discuss a certain type of sports, as well as consider gender issues, the Olympics, college sports, nutrition, doping, media coverage, injuries, racism, homophobia, etc. Here are some suggestions that you can use as a basis for your essay:
- Gender equality in sports is quite a sensitive theme. Should boys and girls play in one team? In what sports would it be appropriate?
- Physical education plays an important role in the full development of children. Should boxing be available at school sports programs?
- The motivation and education of young athletes are highly important. Should every young athlete get a trophy?
- There are so many sports that can be added to the Olympics. Should Ultimate frisbee be legitimized at the Olympics?
- Do you think college sports like soccer or baseball distract students from studying? Should high schools eliminate competitive athletic teams?
- Many students don’t like extracurricular activities. Should parents force their children to go into sports?
- There are too many sports in the Olympics. What sports do you think should be eliminated?
- Should ballet dancers wear tights? Is it sexy or not?
- Athletes’ nutrition can significantly influence their performance. Should athletes use a high-protein diet (or any other) for proper performance?
- Becoming a professional sports athlete is quite stressful. Do you think athletes should pass mental training and psychotherapy sessions?
Basketball Persuasive Essay Topics
Are you a basketball fan? You can persuade your audience in a particular side of the issue connected with basketball, or convince them to believe that your favorite basketball player is the best one. Even if you are not a fan, but you wish to write a persuasive essay connected to basketball, here are some topic ideas for inspiration.
- Should short people play basketball? Do you think there is a need to create a basketball league for shorter basketball players?
- Who is the greatest basketball player of all time? What about recent times? Persuade the audience in your point of view.
- What is the best basketball team? Why does this particular team deserve to be called the best?
- What rules in basketball should be changed? Why?
- Should shot clocks be implemented in high school basketball?
- Should “old school” basketball come back?
- Should stats be eliminated? Persuade your audience that stats are overrated.
- Who is the most overrated/underrated basketball player?
- Should steroids and drug enhancements be legalized in basketball?
- Should the NBA dress code be changed?
Psychology Persuasive Essay Topics
Fortunately, psychology has a great variety of issues: eating disorders, depression, phobias, personality disorders, self-affirmations, gender roles, and many other issues can become great grounds for your essay. If you still have no ideas, explore the topics below.
- Anorexia and bulimia are on the rise. Should parents be more attentive to their children? How should they identify the signs of anorexia?
- Nearly every person can learn how to use persuasive methods. What is the greatest persuasion tactic to use?
- The increased attention toward obesity may force children and teenagers to become anorexic. Should mass media eliminate content related to obesity?
- Should people pay more attention to emotional intelligence? Are people with high emotional intelligence more successful?
- Is there a difference between children raised in same-sex and traditional couples? Are children raised in gay couples more prone to becoming gay?
- Bipolar disorder is one of the most frequent mental illnesses nowadays. Do you think a person with bipolar disorder can lead a normal social life?
- Conduct research about self-affirmation and its peculiarities. How can self-affirmations better your life? Is self-affirmation dangerous or not?
- Suicide has a young face, and the reasons for its occurrence should be well-researched. Do you think the reasons for teenage suicide should be more researched? Why?
- Dementia and depression are common among older adults. Do mental disorders always accompany the elderly?
- It’s not easy to be happy and cheerful when you read bad news over the internet or hear another sad story. Define the most effective way to avoid pessimism and depression.
Persuasive Essay Topics About Mental Health
The number of adults with mental health issues rises every year. Despite the new approaches in treatment, the rates of depression and suicide remain pervasive. People who suffer from mental illness are usually taken as weird or spineless. Here are some ideas and issues connected to mental health:
- Should mental health treatment be involuntary?
- Should women with mental illnesses be forced to have an abortion?
- Does body image influence the occurrence of eating disorders in adolescents?
- Is it ethically right to use electroshock therapy in the treatment of mental illnesses?
- Is it right to use transcranial magnetic stimulation? In what cases is it effective?
- How can mobile applications help people with mental illness?
- Break the myth that people with mental health problems are violent and unpredictable.
- Is it possible to prevent mental illness and behavioral disorders?
- Why is it important to understand a person with a mental disorder?
- What are the main reasons of rising numbers of mental illnesses in the US?
Persuasive Essay Topics on Depression
Nowadays depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the world. But despite this, many people that face this disease have a lack of knowledge about it. You can discuss the main issues and misconceptions connected to depression. Here are some ideas that you can use:
- Is depression a mental disease? Does untreated depression change the brain over time?
- Should people use antidepressants without a prescription?
- Should people diagnosed with depression be restricted from keeping guns at home?
- Should women use antidepressants during pregnancy/while breastfeeding?
- Should the government provide a more active dissemination of information about postpartum/teenage depression?
- Does social media influence the manifestation of depression?
- Should the government make a law on screening postpartum depression for all women?
- Should the government pay attention to depression rates? What should the government do to decrease depression rates?
- Should people be more attentive to their close relations? Why is it important? How can you find out the early signs of depression?
- Is there a difference between sadness and depression?
Persuasive Essay Topics on Religion
Religion is quite a sensitive topic to write about. You can base choosing the topic on your own preferences and tastes. You can touch the issues connected to world religion, social and cultural aspects of religion, Christian persuasive essay topics, and more. Here are some suggestions for you:
- Should religious education be a separate subject at schools?
- Should religious clubs be allowed at schools and colleges? Does religion influence a teenager’s behavior?
- If you study history, you will see that many conflicts had a religious basis. What do you think: Does religion cause war?
- Would people be better without religion? Is religion good or bad for society?
- Should countries eliminate certain religions as a state religion?
- Should churches be taxed?
- Should international airports use racial and religious profiling?
- From year to year, the number of couples that get married in a church decreases. Should couples marry at churches?
- Gays are typically not accepted in most religions. Do you think LGBT people should be accepted by religion?
- Should churches change their approach to sexual abuse?
- Who is Jesus Christ? What was his mission to the world?
Human Rights Persuasive Essay Topics
According to the UN Declaration of Human Rights, “all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.” Despite these words, people all over the world feel the suppression of rights and freedoms. Human trafficking, limitation of freedom of voice, the death penalty, and other issues are still urgent. If you need some suggestions for your essay, browse the list below:
- What is the most effective way to create job opportunities for refugees?
- Is it reasonable to give all people the same rights all over the world?
- How can we use businesses as a part of the human rights movement?
- In many countries, women are limited in the participation of political and public life, the choice of education and professions, and have an unequal position in the labor market.
- Should the countries with the death penalty (or other critical violations of rights and freedoms) be eliminated? For example, this question should be answered economically, politically, etc.
- Children and youth should have better access to justice.
- How can social media help human rights campaigns?
- How to advance children’s rights to education?
- Should the rights of free speech be limited? Why?
- Some countries like China and North Korea limit the rights and freedoms of people. Why should China give its citizens more rights?
To support your point of view, find out the best practices to fight human rights inequalities and how it can be applied in your country.
Persuasive Ethical Essay Topics
Ethics is a branch of philosophy that unites a great list of issues. The most common are: capital punishment, euthanasia, honor crimes, slavery, war, charity, female and male circumcision, sports, abortion, torture, and more. In the list below you can find some ideas for the essay connected to ethical issues:
- Artificial intelligence is transforming our lives for the better. But what will happen if machines will replace people on all workplaces?
- Modern science has great potential in various fields of science. One of the current issues is related to improving human genetics. Is it ethically right to conduct research in human genome editing?
- Women’s rights and freedom of choice have greatly developed over the times. However, it’s still a controversy between government, society, and religion in regard to abortion. Is it morally right to terminate a pregnancy before normal childbirth?
- Pharmacology and light industry have helped people control the birth rates by themselves. Modern contraception can prevent pregnancy in 98% of cases. Is contraception an ethical issue?
- In many cultures, forced marriage is considered as normal. At the same time, there is no religion that supports forced marriage. Do you think it is ethical?
- Is it ethically right to go to war? Are there moral sides of war? When is it right to make war?
- What are the ethical limits of charity? Are charity organizations ethical? What are the qualities of an ethically justified charity fund?
- Capital punishment is successfully applied in many countries. Do you think it is ethically right to take the life of a person for a serious crime after a proper legal trial?
- Animals are living beings. Yet they are still used for food, clothes, and as a resource for testing. Is it ethically right to use animals for testing cosmetic products?
- In some countries it’s legal to ask for assisted dying. Is voluntary euthanasia in the range of a person’s right to choose? Find out what cases it is good for.
LGTB Persuasive Essay Topics
At last, people with non-traditional orientation have more freedoms in many countries. But still, they face many issues. Acceptance, violence, parenting, employment and housing discrimination, unequal healthcare, and other issues are quite urgent.
- Psychology has helped society accept non-traditional orientation. Do you think LGBT people should be considered as people with mental illness?
- How does racial exclusion happen in LGBTQ communities?
- LGBT discrimination had lead to increased dropout rates at high schools and colleges. Schools should help LGBT youth fight discrimination.
- Highlight a particular issue in another country related to the LGBTQ community. How can it be applied in your own country?
- Should LGBT people highlight their coming out stories or coming out process to the wide public?
- Why do people hide their feelings of same-sex attraction?
- Do you support gay marriage or not?
- Medical workers should have LGBT health training to address disparities.
- Describe the most effective methods to fight violence in the LGBT community.
- How to overcome stereotypes and prejudice about the LGBT community?
Persuasive Essay Topics About Nature
There are so many environmental issues nowadays to be discussed: biodiversity loss, uncontrolled expansion of urban areas, overpopulation, pollution, deforestation, affected ecosystems, climate change, and more.
Here are some persuasive essay topics environmental issues:
- All countries should have proper waste management and garbage handling.
- All public transport should move to have electrical power.
- The public should be well aware of the pollutants and air quality.
- Every package should have a label for recycling. We need to use packaging that can be recycled.
- Countries should pay extra control to waters.
- Can we find a sustainable alternative to oil?
- How can we build without waste?
- Octopus farms should be banned, as it will have a negative impact on animal welfare and sustainability.
- The global food system should be radically changed.
- How can artificial intelligence and science improve the environmental situation?
Persuasive Essay Topics for Nursing
Nurses have a lot to say, starting with clinical issues and ending with their own health. Let’s explore some topics that you may find interesting:
- Is evidence-based practice helpful?
- Technology has a great impact on nursing.
- Nurses need more profound studies of ethics.
- Nurses need a well-developed workplace culture.
- Why do nurses need to pay extra attention to their emotional health?
- How does inter-professional collaboration help care coordination?
- Can nurses get control over the practice?
- Should nurses be restricted to discuss clinical tasks publicly over the internet?
- How important is it to be compassionate on a long shift?
- The nurse should know how to detect burn-out and know how to avoid it.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Social Media
Do you have an obsessive desire to check your social media profile? If so, you are among the rows of millions of people who are dependent on social media. At the same time, there is a wide list of issues that can be discussed about social media. Let’s explore some of them:
- Spending too much time on social media can ruin your life.
- Social media should have more strict rules for fake identities.
- How can social media help deal with economic, environmental, and social issues?
- People that use social media should be well-aware of cyberbullying, cybercrime, and scammers.
- Social media can cause addiction and health problems.
- Why is it important to monitor a child’s texts and emails?
- Social media is the best place to find a soul mate.
- Social media should have more strict rules for plagiarism.
- Is it time to rethink how we use social media?
- Do journalists need social media guidelines and censorship?
American History Persuasive Essay Topics
If you are a fan of American history, you will probably find something interesting in the list below:
- Native Americans should be treated differently.
- How the American economy could have started without slaves.
- Has industrialization produced more benefits or more problems for the US nation?
- The US shouldn’t have participated in World War I.
- The inventions of the end of the 19th century have changed American life.
- The cowboy experience helped define the culture of West America.
- The development of canals and roads have significantly helped the growth of specific regions of the US.
- Immigration has played a significant role in the development of US cities.
- The Negro leagues had a great impact on baseball and society.
- How could the Utopian colonies avoid failure?
We know that finding a topic for a persuasive essay is hard, but writing an essay can be much harder. If you experience some troubles with writing a persuasive essay, you can ask our writers to help you. Just make an order to get a finished paper without any effort. We are here 24/7.